Tips for Integrating Color Therapy into Your Parent’s Care Routine
March is National Color Therapy Month. This is the ideal opportunity for you as your parent’s family caregiver to learn more about the power of color and how you can integrate the principles of color therapy into your regular care routine with them. Color is a powerful force that can completely change how you feel and how you perceive the world around you. Using the ideals of color therapy in your care routine with your parent can help your parent to enjoy better mental and emotional health, and help them to live a more active, engaged lifestyle as they age in place.
Use these tips to help you integrate color therapy into your parent’s care routine:
- Choose clothing wisely. What your parent wears and what you wear can make a tremendous impact on how both of you feel on any given day. Wearing vibrant colors, for example, can encourage more energy and mental activity, while paler colors can create a sense of calm, relaxation, and peace. Help your parent choose clothing that will create the feelings that you want to and express their personality to the world.
- Add colorful touches to their home. The colors that they have in their home can greatly influence how your parent feels and their ongoing mental and emotional health. Filling the bedroom with calming colors such as white or pastels, for example, promotes better relaxation and more restful sleep, while adding hints of yellow or red to the kitchen and dining areas stimulates the appetite and produces a happier, more energetic feeling.
- Go on “color hunts.” Integrate both color and physical activity into your loved one’s day by planning a color hunt. Choose a color or two and go out for a walk through the neighborhood or a local park and find as any examples of that color as possible.
If you have been looking for ways to improve your parent’s quality of life and give them a more varied, more beneficial course of care, starting home care for them may be the ideal solution. An in-home senior care services provider can be with your loved one on a schedule that takes into consideration their individual needs, challenges, and limitations, as well as the amount and type of care that you give them on a regular basis. This ensures that your senior gets the level of care, support, and assistance that they need while also keeping you, as their family caregiver, at the forefront of their care. When it comes to helping your loved one experience the highest quality of life possible, this care provider can help your senior find ways to boost their mental, emotional, and physical health and well-being, and implement better lifestyle choices into their daily life. This can include selecting clothing with beneficial colors each day, helping them decorate their home with colorful finds, or even planning activities and outings that will expose them to a wide variety of colors regularly.
If you or an aging loved one are looking for caregiver services in Chappaqua, NY, call the friendly staff at The Perfect Home Care at (855) 855-5728. Call today!
Geralyn DiGiovanni, Manager, Client Services
Latest posts by Geralyn DiGiovanni, Manager, Client Services (see all)
- How Can You Tell When Your Elderly Loved One Really Can’t Live on Her Own Any Longer? - May 12, 2017
- Four Age-related Vision Problems in Seniors - April 14, 2017
- 5 Things to Know About Occupational Therapy - April 7, 2017